Firefighters found seven puppies under the burning building and rescued the pups.
A Colleton County firefighter responded to a ‘out of control’ yard fire in Jacksonboro, South Carolina, but didn’t expect to save a pack of puppies.
Firefighters arrived to extinguish a fire in a log house, which arose due to the ignition of garbage in the yard. As they began putting out the flames, they heard a “loud whining sound” that seemed to come from under the burning cab.
“After investigation, they found seven babies under the burning building and rescued them. Fire paramedics took the puppies to Fire and Rescue Brigade 6 and began treating them for smoke poisoning.
Crews warmed them up and placed them in towels and were able to revive the seven and get them moving again,” the department said in a press release.
Rescuers finally managed to put out the fire, but the building was completely destroyed. Among the wreckage was an eighth puppy, which was resuscitated and cared for by rescuers.
All the babies were treated for smoke poisoning, but they survived the fire without getting burned. The owner of the property stated that he had no idea there were puppies under the dog.
Colleton County Animal Services took care of the puppies until they were ready for adoption.
The heroes were praised for their quick action in putting out the fire and rescuing the pups. The Colleton County Fire and Rescue Service announced this on Twitter. “Excellent work on stations 2, 6 and 9 yesterday at Campbell Hill Road in Jacksonboro.
Not only did they quickly put out the fire in the building, but they also rescued those 8 puppies who were under the building and were affected by the smoke.”